Series review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1-3 by Rick Riordan

At the end of last year, I read the first 3 books in the Percy Jackson series, and enjoyed them so much! I've decided to bundle them into one big post of mini reviews for each of them. Hope you enjoy.


The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Publisher/Year: 2013 Puffin
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1
Source/Format: Paperback | Bought
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Synopsis

Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a greek god.
I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporized my maths teacher. Now I spend my time battling monsters and generally trying to stay alive.
This is the one where Zeus, God of the Sky, thinks I've stolen his lightning bolt - and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea.

My review

I was quite intimidated about this book series before going in to it, due to the popularity of it and to be honest the fact that it's been around for over 10 years now.

I haven't read a lot of Middle Grade but I was pleasantly surprised that this didn't feel too childish and I could just enjoy it without thinking how easy to read it was. 

I always love reading about Greek mythology and this was no exception. I didn't expect these books to be as educational as they were, but I did really learn a lot. There was never a dull moment and the humour is just fantastic.

After I finished this my first thought was how much I wanted to immediately dive into the next one!

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Publisher/Year: 2013 Puffin
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2
Source/Format: Paperback | Bought 
Rating: 4 stars out of 5


Synopsis

YOU CAN'T TELL BY LOOKING AT ME THAT MY DAD IS POSEIDON, GOD OF THE SEA.
It's not easy being a half-blood these days. Even a simple game of dodge-ball becomes a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants - and that was only the beginning.
Now Camp Half-Blood is under attack and, unless I can get my hands of the Golden Fleece, the whole camp will be invaded by monsters. Big ones...

My review

I had high expectations for this book after really enjoying the first one, and it did not disappoint at all. 

All the characters in this series are so well-written and in this book I really started to feel like I knew Percy and Annabeth pretty well. Because of how much action is in these books, I didn't know if the characters would be that fleshed-out but they really are. The combination of action and an underlying story line is really well done.

This sequel was just as good as the first one!

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Publisher/Year: 2013 Puffin
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians #3
Source/Format: Paperback | Bought
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis

IT'S NOT EVERYDAY YOU FIND YOURSELF IN COMBAT WITH A HALF-LION, HALF-HUMAN.
But when you're the son of a Greek god, it happens. And now my friend Annabeth is missing, a goddess is in chains and only five half-blood heroes can join the quest to defeat the doomsday monster.
Oh, and guess what? The Oracle has predicted that not all of us will survive...

My review

I didn't know if I would enjoy this book as much as the first 2 because Annabeth isn't in it as much, but it was still so much fun.

I really enjoyed all the new characters we met for the first time, and especially learning about the Huntresses and that whole sisterhood thing.

I feel like so many people could relate to Percy, especially people who might not typically read like boys who don't have very good focus.

Just as good as the others!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hate at First Sight by Lizzie O'Hagan | Book Review

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider: Book review

January 2024 Mini Reviews - part 3