Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard: Book review

Red Queen (Red Queen Trilogy, #1)
Publisher/Year: February 12th 2015 Orion
Genre: YA Fantasy
Series: Red Queen #1
Pages: 383
Source/Format: Paperback | Bought
Rating: 5 stars out of 5

*This review may contain spoilers!*

Synopsis

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.
The poverty-stricken Reds are commoners, living in the shadow of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from the Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Then Mare finds herself working at the Silver palace, in the midst of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

My review

I trust my best friend's book recommendations, so when she started screaming about how good this book was, and how it was her favourite book of the year so far, I knew I had to read it. Before that, I had heard of it and was interested myself so the two combined left me with very high expectations, and they sure were met.

At the time of reading, I was really in the mood for a good high fantasy novel, and this was perfect. I was a bit scared of the hype it had surrounding it, but I didn't let that stop me from reading it pretty soon after it came out, and I'm really glad.

Mare as a main character was great. At the start I wasn't sure if she would be able to hold a story like this, but her personality interested me constantly and I found myself rooting for her all the time. She is smart, and her character development was so good, and even though I hated seeing her in bad situations, I knew that she could cope.

I also enjoyed reading about the majority of the secondary characters, but thanks to Aveyard's great writing I never really knew who Mare could trust at any point.

Normally I hate love triangles or anything like that, but this love triangle/love square (?) didn't annoy me and it actually worked in the book. Also, for once I'm not entirely sure who I want Mare to be with, and I'm excited to see if there is a development with one in particular in the sequel.

This book has become one of my favourites of this year, and just in general, and I am counting down the days until Glass Sword comes out. Everyone NEEDS to give this book a go!

Izzy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hate at First Sight by Lizzie O'Hagan | Book Review

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider: Book review

January 2024 Mini Reviews - part 3