The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion: Book review

The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1)
Book title/Author: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Publisher/Year: January 2nd 2014 Penguin
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Series: Don Tillman #1
Pages: 327
Source/Format: Paperback | Library
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

*This review may contain spoilers!*


Synopsis

Meet Don Tillman. Don is getting married. He just doesn't know who to yet. But he has designed a very detailed questionnaire to help him find the perfect woman. One thing he already knows, though, is that it's not Rosie. Absolutely completely, definitely not.

My review

I did not go into this book knowing anything in the slightest of the plot, but the sheer amount of attention this book received around its publication date made me so curious that I finally decided to give it a go when I saw it in my local library.

Immediately Don reminded me so much of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, and I loved it. Getting to see the ins and outs of someone so remarkable as Don Tillman fascinated me to no end. The Rosie Project really allowed the reader to experience the growth and development of Don as a person, and becoming more open to new things, throughout the span of the book. 

Although the front cover suggests so, I did not expect this book to be as funny as it was. Don and Rosie's relationship, especially at the beginning, made for some laugh-out-loud moments and it just generally made me very happy when reading it.

The romance in this book was really unconventional and I enjoyed that about it. Rosie surprised me when I first met her, but not in a bad way. I also liked the fact that they formed a friendship first before anything romantic started. Seeing the way that Rosie changed Don was extremely interesting, making him more approachable and less intense. Don and Rosie are complete opposites in every single way - or at least they start out this way. Each helps the other through times of need and changes them for the better.

Gene and Claudia's little side-story was very interesting to read about as Claudia's opinion on an open marriage changes and as Gene becomes intertwined in Rosie and Don's investigation. I liked them both as secondary characters, although I must say I did prefer Claudia.

One major thought that I had while reading this book was how much I would love to see this adapted onto the big screen. Sometimes I hate book-to-film adaptations, but I feel as though this would make a great one.

I really enjoyed The Rosie Project, so if you're looking for a good-hearted read, I'd suggest this!

Izzy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hate at First Sight by Lizzie O'Hagan | Book Review

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider: Book review

January 2024 Mini Reviews - part 3