Before I Blogged I Read: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

I started this blog around a year and a half ago, so obviously there are TONS of books that I read before this blog was created. This feature, which was made by the awesome Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner, showcases books that we've read a long time ago. Now, this won't be like a normal review. Instead I will just be sharing some notes I had while reading it originally.


Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
Book title/ Author: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Publisher/ Year: September 1st 2009 Scholastic
Genre: YA Dystopian
Series: The Hunger Games #2
Pages: 472
Source/ Format: Paperback | Gifted


Rating: I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads
Date I read it: July 2013

Thoughts

1. Kept the format the same. Equal parts of me liked and disliked the fact that the format of a "Hunger Games" was the same. I do really enjoy the whole premise of the competition but I am curious to see what the book could've been like if it didn't just so happen to be the 75th anniversary.

2. Not a typical sequel. And by this I mean that it's safe to say for the majority of series, the rest of the series is never as good as the first one. However Catching Fire is different in this respect as it is still action-packed, thrilling, and full of the amazing wonder that is Katniss Everdeen.

3. A love triangle that doesn't annoy me. As I mentioned in my Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books, I HATE love triangles. Most of them are poorly executed and end up making the main girl just look greedy. Luckily this is not the case in The Hunger Games series. There are pros and cons for both Gale and Peeta, and if I'm honest, I'm undecided.

4. A brutal cliffhanger ending. I would not have been able to handle the terrible situation that happened at the end of the book, definitely not like how Katniss did. She was kept in the dark for such a long time and although she didn't deal with it perfectly, it was good for what it was.

Have you read this book? Love it or hate it? Let me know in the comments below!

Izzy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hate at First Sight by Lizzie O'Hagan | Book Review

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider: Book review

January 2024 Mini Reviews - part 3