The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater: Book review

The Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle, #2)
Book title/ Author: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher/ Year: September 5th 2013 Scholastic
Genre: YA Fantasy
Series: The Raven Cycle #2
Pages: 450
Source/ Format: Paperback | Bought with my own money
Rating: 5 stars out of 5

*This review may contain spoilers!*

Synopsis

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...

My review

It took me WAY too long to buy this book after my head exploded with the wonderfulness that is The Raven Boys. I couldn't wait to see where the adventure continued but I just never found myself purchasing this book and even when I did buy it, it took me a while to pick it up.

This book showed a lot of character development for all of the main characters, I would say. Obviously, after the events at the end of The Raven Boys, Adam became a bit more distant from their group, but you can understand why. Blue became used to having friends, and Gansey in particular wasn't the same without her. I also think that Ronan grew more confident what with his new-found information. He became a key element to the story in this book and it showed.

The addition of the Gray Man added a whole mystery element to the story and even though he was definitely shady, he seemed genuine in his feelings for Maura and I really liked how he eventually became comfortable with Maura's best friends too. Speaking of the three psychics, I am entertained every time they pop up on the page. Although they aren't the main characters, I still love how they have a relationship with each of the characters and how they make everyone welcome in their home.

At first I thought Gansey came from a family of snobs, but their subtle yet powerful gifts that they gave to Adam left such an impact on both him and me. They really do mean well and I like that whole family in general.

The ending gripped me and I need Blue Lily, Lily Blue so badly now because of that cliffhanger! This was such a good sequel, and I would recommend this whole series to anyone that loves a good Fantasy.

Izzy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hate at First Sight by Lizzie O'Hagan | Book Review

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider: Book review

January 2024 Mini Reviews - part 3