Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan: Book review

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Book title/ Author: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares 
by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Publisher/ Year: October 5th 2012 Mira Ink
Genre: YA Contemporary
Series: No
Pages: 260
Source/ Format: Paperback || Bought with my own money
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

*This review may contain spoilers!*

Synopsis

I've left some clues for you. If you want them, turn the page. If you don't, put the book back on the shelf, please.

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favourite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.

My review

At the beginning, I was surprised to find myself not liking Dash. He just seemed too negative for me and he sounded like a snobbish book nerd, which I hate. However, his attitude thankfully did change once he got more involved with Lily. I understood him and why he could be a bit snarly as he had grown up to be wary of people and their intentions from a very young age. Meeting Lily and becoming friends with her really brought out a different side to him that only someone like her could bring out.

Speaking of Dash and Lily, I liked how Rachel and David wrote them to be polar opposites - you can tell straight away from the first pages of each of their first chapters; how Lily loves Christmas and Dash absolutely hates it. The two of them sort of reminded me of Dan and Serena from Gossip Girl, and I definitely don't think that's a bad thing!

The back and forth of the notebook between Dash and Lily gives the book that little bit of adventure that I think is always needed to make a story exciting. The elements where their various family members and friends are included really helps to bring in the Christmas spirit, especially when I consider Christmas to be the time when people are closest.

My favourite part of the story was when they spent time together in the interrogation room. It gave them the chance to scope out each other's personalities and I think that is really when they decided to give the other a go.

Lily is the epitome of bubbly; even when she gets mad you can't take her seriously because she's always so upbeat and friendly to everyone she meets. I think she was exactly what Dash needed right at the time when they met and I think she will continue to be what Dash needs, and vice versa.

I have to give a special mention to Boomer - some of his lines actually made me laugh out loud and I liked the cuteness that came from him being a bit clueless.

In the ending, I enjoyed the fact that Dash and Lily didn't establish a relationship just for the sake of it. Instead they decided to take things slow and see where things went.

If you are still in the Christmas spirit, or just love cute romances, I think this will be the one for you!

Izzy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hate at First Sight by Lizzie O'Hagan | Book Review

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider: Book review

January 2024 Mini Reviews - part 3