A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey: Book review

A Breath of Frost (The Lovegrove Legacy, #1)
Book title/ Author: A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher/ Year: January 7th 2014 Walker Childrens
Genre: YA Paranormal/ Historical Fiction
Series: The Lovegrove Legacy #1
Pages: 496
Source/ Format: ebook Bought with my own money
Rating: 5 stars out of 5

*This review may contain spoilers!*

Synopsis

In 1814, three cousins - Gretchen, Emma, and Penelope - discover their family lineage of witchcraft when a binding spell is broken, allowing their individual magical powers to manifest. Now, beyond the manicured gardens and ballrooms of Regency London, an alluring underworld available only to those with power is revealed to the cousins. By claiming their power, the three cousins have accidentally opened the gates to the underworld.


My review

I originally bought this book because I received an advance copy of what I did not know to be he sequel to this. Obviously I had to read this book first if I wanted to understand anything that would be going on.

Initially I was interested in this book because I LOVE anything to do with witches, and I have to say that this has been one of my favourite witch stories to read.

I enjoyed reading everyone's POVs, but I think my favourite thing to read was the flashbacks Emma experienced, as it gave me more information and helped all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

I loved the sisterly bond between Emma, Gretchen, and Penelope and how they each had their fair share of the story. Their relationship reminded me of how close me and my sister are. I t was also interesting to see how alike their personalities are and the things they shared in common - how snarky and sarcastic they each are and the fact they were confident and independent.

Emma and Cormac's relationship was so sweet and I liked how it naturally became stronger and stronger. However, it didn't distract from the main storyline, which was good. I would've liked to see Gretchen and Penelope with someone, but perhaps that will happen in the next book.

There were some points in this book where I was slightly confused about Moira. I don't really know what she brought to the story, and yet she had quite a big part. That being said, she wasn't introduced until about halfway into the book.

The ending saw everything fit together finally and come to a close, which was really satisfying to read.

If you're looking for your next great read, or you like witches, I highly suggest you read this next!

Izzy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hate at First Sight by Lizzie O'Hagan | Book Review

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider: Book review

January 2024 Mini Reviews - part 3